Dr. Edmunds has practiced and taught hand surgery and orthopaedic surgery at Tulane University Medical School since arriving in New Orleans from his orthopaedic residency and hand/micro vascular fellowships at Duke University in 1976, before Tulane Hospital opened. He is known internationally as a teacher, speaker, and author. He has pioneered surgical procedures for the thumb basal joint and the joints of hemophiliacs. He is an expert in complex referral cases of hand, wrist, and upper extremity trauma, arthritis, tendon and nerve injuries, nerve compression, deformities, and congenital anomalies. He does tendon transfers for nerve injuries, releases for Dupuytren's contracture, joint reconstruction for hemophilia or rheumatoid arthritis, minimally invasive carpal tunnel release, repairs of complex wrist fractures, and total joint replacement of the knee, and hip, shoulder, elbow, and wrist. He is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, holds additional Certification of Added Qualifications in Surgery of the Hand, and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, and the American Orthopaedic Association. He is Past President of the Southern Orthopaedic Association, past President of the Louisiana Orthopaedic Association, and a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Orthopaedic Surgical Advances. He is a member of the medical staffs of Tulane University Medical Center, Ochsner Baptist Medical Center, Touro Infirmary, Children’s Hospital, and University/Charity Hospital in New Orleans. He also designs medical software as Chairman of the Aesculapius Technologies, and is the editor of this Tulane Orthopaedic department web site.
Professor Emeritus of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tulane University School of Medicine
Chief, Hand and Upper Extremity, Tulane University School of Medicine
Chief of Hand and Upper Extremity, University/Charity Hospital
Visiting Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Chief of Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Veterans Administration Hospital, Nashville, TN
Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Certificate of Added Qualifications in Surgery of the Hand, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Washington & Lee University, Lexington, Virginia, US, 1958-1960
Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, US, B.A., 1960-1962
Oxford University, Oxford, England, 1962-1963
University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, US, M.D., 1967
Ochsner Foundation Hospital, New Orleans, Louisiana, US, 1967-1968
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, US, 1971-1975
Hand Surgery and Microvascular Surgery Fellowship, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, US, 1976
Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery; wrist and thumb reconstruction; Hemophiliac joint reconstruction
· Outstanding Faculty Teacher Award, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tulane University Medical School, 1981, 1996
· Edmunds JO, Haddad RJ: Severe bilateral knee pain. Orthopaedic Consultation 1987;8(7).Cook SD, Barrack RL, Salkeld SL, Prewett AB, Edmunds JO: Bone ingrowth into a porous-coated total shoulder component retrieved postmortem. The Journal of Arthroplasty 1993; 8(2):189-94.
· Edmunds JO: New Orleans, AAOS 1998. American Journal of Orthopaedics 1998;27(2):78,80.
· Edmunds JO, Barrack RL: Thomas St. Germain Whitecloud III, MD, 1940–2003. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, August 2003.
· Edmunds JO, Urbaniak JR, Goldner RD, Nunley JA: Dedication to J. Leonard Goldner, MD. Hand Clinics: Hand Fractures and Dislocations August 2006; 22(3):xiii-xvi.
· Edmunds JO: Traumatic Dislocations and Instability of the Trapeziometacarpal Joint of the Thumb. Hand Clinics, August 2006, Chapter 4, volume 22, issue 3, p. 365-392, http://hand.theclinics.com.
For more publications, please see the PubMed listing